The "Save SP High School" Facebook page, which launched over the weekend, had more than 1,500 followers by Monday.
It is described as a place "to share information about the recent withdrawal of state budget support for the new high school," after Gov. Martin O'Malley released his list of funding recommendations last week; the $26 million that Anne Arundel County asked for to replace Severna Park High School was not on the list.
County Executive Laura Neuman said that she was "disappointed" by the decision, in a note to the "Save SP High School" group on Monday.
"I am disappointed by the governor's decision and am personally attending the Board of Public Works' meeting this week," Neuman wrote. "From my perspective, the battle has just begun. I am ready to take this issue on and will update you on my progress. Stay tuned."
The Maryland Board of Public Works meets Jan. 22 in Annapolis to hear appeals from school district representatives appealing for additional funding before the budget is finalized in the spring.
- Severna Park High School Missing from State Budget
- High School Replacement Plans Underway (2012)
- BLOG: Severna Park High School Still on Track (2012)
- Board Says Yes to Building New High School (2011)