A National Blue Ribbon School and also a Maryland Green School, St. John the Evangelist School is located at 669 Ritchie Highway and is directly affiliated with the Church of St. John the Evangelist, located next door. A co-ed Catholic School serving grades K through 8, the faculty consists of lay teachers and the Sisters of St. Joseph, dedicated to providing academic excellence in a safe, disciplined environment. A four-year-old preschool program is also offered. The school offers learning differences and enrichment programs, athletics, band, drama and other clubs along with before and after school care.
The school boasts many scholarship and award winners from the student body of more than 400. Typically, 100 percent of the eighth grade graduates are accepted by the high school of their choice. The school is led by Sister Linda Larsen and participates in the Catholic Grant Program, which provides aid to families in need of financial support. You must be a registered parishioner of St. John the Evangelist Church to be eligible. Tuition for the 2010-2011 school year is $6,360.
- Fax: 410-431-5438
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 8am - 5pm
- Handicap Accessible: Ramp at front entrance and school all one floor
- Founding Date: 1959
- Number of students: 525
- Public/Private: Private
- Financial aid: Yes
- Religious affiliation: Catholic
- Graduation rate (%): 100
- Accreditation/licenses: Middle States Associate of Colleges & School
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 16:1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 35
- How engaged is the school with the community?: Hosts many special events and fundraisers throughout the year
- Montessori: No
- Grade levels: Pre K 4 - Grade 8
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Language lab, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: Yes
- Sports teams: Sponsored by the St. John's Athletic Association and include soccer, basketball, field hockey, scooper lacrosse and speed and agility clinics.
- Uniforms: Yes
- Student clubs: Yes