There are only a few hours left before hurricane Sandy is expected to hit the Severna Park area. If you have some last-minute preparations to do, don't worry, there is still time.
Here's a roundup of some things around town you may still need.
In the event of a power outage you may want to stock up on ice in case you need to keep your food cold.
As of 1 p.m. on Saturday, both Giant and Food Lion have ice. Safeway is currently out of ice, according to an employee.
It is recommended that you fill your car up with gas before a storm hits. This morning, gas lines around Severna Park weren't too long.
If you are looking for the cheapest option, the Royal Farms gas station and Exxon station on Ritchie Highway both have regular gas for $3.49 a gallon.
The Shell and 7-11, also on Ritchie Highway, had regular gas for $3.52.
The Ace Hardware in Severna Park is currently out of propane tanks. However, they do have a few coolers left—if you need one for storing food in the event of a power outage.
Five Below had a full stock of batteries available on Saturday morning. They also had a few small flashlights remaining, but were out of the larger ones.
Prepare at Home
As you go out and stock up on items you may need for the storm, don't forget about the things you can do in your home to prepare.
- Keep your phones charging all day. This way if the power goes out you're phone will be fully charged.
- Bring in any loose items you may have outside, and take down all hanging plants.
- Make sure any outside drains you have are cleared of leaves.
- Have candles, matches and flashlights ready to go—you don't want to be digging in the dark through your cabinets looking for them.
- If you can, move your car away from trees or branches that could easily fall.
- Remember to check on your neighbors and make sure they are OK.
Editor's Note: Have good storm photos? Email email@example.com.