The strong winter storm headed toward Anne Arundel County has prompted authorities to open area libraries as warming centers, as well as all four Police District Stations and all seven Senior Activity Centers.
All 15 libraries are open from 9 a.m. to p.m. Monday-Thursday, authorities said, and from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
In addition, five of the 15 libraries are open Sundays from 1 to 5 p.m.: Annapolis, Crofton, North County, Severna Park, and the West County library.
The National Weather Servicehas issued a Winter Storm Warning for the entire DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia region.
The NWS warning, issued overnight, begins at midnight Sunday and continues until 6 p.m. Monday. The warning is for heavy snow, sleet and freezing rain.
According to the county’s website, district police stations are open 24 hours a day. Senior activity centers are open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. County residents who do not have an alternative mode of shelter may use one of the county’s warming centers.
Residents using police station as warming centers should take their own sleeping bags, blankets, pillows, medication, food and water. All districts have public restrooms, but shower facilities are not available. Residents must check in with the front desk upon arrival.
District Police Stations:
- Northern District, 939 Hammonds Lane, Baltimore
- Eastern District, 3700 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Western District, 8273 Telegraph Road, Odenton
- Southern District, 35 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
Children visiting senior activity centers must be supervised by an adult or guardian at all times. Anne Arundel County residents who need transportation to warming centers should call the Department of Aging and Disabilities Transportation Program between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at 410-222-4826.Senior Activity Centers:
- Annapolis Senior Activity Center - 119 South Villa Ave., Annapolis
- Arnold Senior Activity Center – 44 Church Road, Arnold
- Brooklyn Park Senior Activity Center - 202 Hammonds Lane, Brooklyn Park
- O'Malley Senior Activity Center - 1275 Odenton Rd., Odenton
- Pasadena Senior Activity Center - 4103 Mountain Rd., Pasadena
- Pascal Senior Activity Center - 125 Dorsey Rd., Glen Burnie
- South County Senior Center - 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
Please check on elderly or disabled family and friends and bring your pets inside. If it is too cold for you, it is too cold for them.