Invite a friend
What is this thing called Dyslexia?
On Thursday, November 8th from 7:00pm-8:30pm, The Summit School’s Founding Executive Director, Dr. Jane R. Snider, will present a fact-filled discussion on the history, diagnosis and defining differences, and plan of educational action for those with dyslexia. This free seminar will be held at the Severna Park Community Center located at 623 Baltimore-Annapolis Blvd., Severna Park, MD 21146.
Dr. Snider will discuss:
- What are the symptoms of dyslexia?
- When is it appropriate to assess for learning differences?
- What causes dyslexia?
- What should an academic program include?
The presentation is free and open to the public, however, space is limited. Reservations are required no later than Tuesday, November 6th. To reserve your place, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Speaker:
Jane R. Snider, Ed.D. is an educator with a doctoral degree in Human Development and Education from The George Washington University. She has been a teacher, a college professor, and a Learning Disabilities Specialist. Her expertise led to the creation of The Summit School in 1989 where she serves as Founding Executive Director. Summit is a school for bright students with dyslexia and other learning differences. Dr. Snider has earned many awards including the YWCA Tribute to Women and INdustry (TWIN) Award, The Washington Post Distinguished Educational Leadership Award, Maryland’s Top 100 Women, Brava! Women Business Achievement Award, and the Community Trustee Award.
About The Summit School:
The Summit School, located in Edgewater, MD, is a coed, non-profit school for grades 1-8. Summit offers a highly individualized academic program for bright students with dyslexia and other learning differences. For more information, visit www.thesummitschool.org.
More About Severna Park Community Center
Severna Park Community Center is conveniently located in the center of town and offers a selection of meeting and activity rooms for rent to the public. Among the many offerings are swimming programs, a warm therapy pool, basketball, volleyball, dance classes, art classes, a dance studio and more. The building is home to the historic Holy Grounds Youth Center, located next door. The space accomodates up to 150 people.
It is known for its annual special events, such as an annual spaghetti dinner fundraiser, haunted holy grounds, free adult flu shots and a health fair, Christmas holiday plant sale, fitness expo, Valentine gifts for adults and kids program and national day of dance, to name just a few. All are welcome at the center, with programs and classes for all ages.
Other events here
- Mantra Fit Bootcamp Weekly on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, 6:00 am–7:00 am
- Engineering For Kids Aerospace Engineering Class May 22, 2013 / May 29, 2013 / June 5, 2013 / June 12, 2013, 5:00 pm–6:30 pm
- Walking Program/ Severna Park Nutrition Weekly on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:15 am–9:45 am
- How to save money on your Utility Bill...every month April 18, 2013 / April 25, 2013 / May 9, 2013 / May 16, 2013 / May 23, 2013 / May 30, 2013, 7:30 pm–8:30 pm
- Mantra Fit Bootcamp Weekly on Saturdays, 8:00 am–9:00 am
- Table Tennis Club Weekly on Tuesdays, 7:00 pm–9:00 pm