Folger McKinsey Elementary Reopens on Thursday
Thanks to an early finish on the renovation of the old building on Arundel Beach Road in Severna Park, the school returns to its original location.
The Folger McKinsey Elementary School bell will be ringing at 9:20 a.m. on Thursday when the school community begins a new chapter in their newly-renovated school on Arundel Beach Road. Operating under new hours, classes will dismiss at 3:45 p.m.
Construction of the $27.2 million new building began in August 2010 and with it a new routine for the community, to include a bus or car ride down Mountain Road with a later start and finish time to the school day.
Registration for 2012-2013 kindergarten at Folger begins on April 17 from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Registrations will be accepted any school day beginning Tuesday and throughout the remaining school year.
Two open houses are planned, one for Folger parents only on Friday at 1:30 p.m. and the other for the community on Wednesday (April 18) at 7 p.m.
According to the Folger's website, here's the new procedure for Folger families:
- The doors will open at 9 a.m. and instruction begins at 9:20 a.m.
- Car riders should arrive between 9 a.m. and 9:15 a.m. Students may not be left at school early and unattended.
All students must be in their classrooms at 9:20 a.m. so as not to be marked tardy. Students who arrive after 9:20 a.m. should be brought into the school office by an adult to be signed in and receive a pass to enter class.
- Car riders, after care, and walkers are dismissed at 3:40 p.m.
- Bus riders are dismissed at 3:45 p.m.
- If you need to pick your child up for early dismissal, please do so before 3:25 p.m. Go to the office and your child will be called from his or her classroom.
Students should not cross the driveway, walk between cars or buses, or leave the sidewalk. There is adult supervision on duty at 9 a.m. for arrival and again at 3:40 p.m. for dismissal.
CORRECTION: A correction was made to the open houses at Folger. The first is for parents only, the second is for the community. We regret the error.