Summer heat has arrived, with highs in the upper 90s, leading to high humidity and poor air quality.
It's gotten so bad in fact, that Anne Arundel County officials have issued an extreme heat advisory, and are opening cooling centers around the county.
The following tips to stay safe in the summer heat were issued by the Anne Arundel County Fire Department:
- Limit outside activities to early morning and early evening.
- Limit exercise regiment.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Water is best, non-alcoholic beverages are good.
- When possible, stay out of direct sunlight and wear sun-screen.
- Spend time in air conditioned spaces—such as libraries, shopping malls and movie theaters.
- If air conditioning is not available, take cool baths or showers.
- Wear loose fitting, light colored clothing, dress for summer.
- Never leave a child or pet unattended in a car. The temperature inside a vehicle can exceed 150 degrees.
Children, the elderly and those people with chronic ailments are usually the first to feel the effects of episodes of high heat and humidity. Use care in planning activities with these groups, regularly check on elderly neighbors.
The following cooling centers will be open Wednesday and Thursday around the county:
- Brooklyn Park Senior Center, 202 Hammonds Ln., Brooklyn Park—8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Pascal Senior Center, 125 Dorsey Rd., Glen Burnie—8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- AACO Police Northern District Community Meeting Room, 939 Hammonds Ln., Glen Burnie—7 a.m. to 7 a.m. (24 hours)
- O’Malley Senior Center, 1275 Odenton Rd., Odenton—8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- AACO Police Western District Community Meeting Room, 8273 Telegraph Rd., Odenton—7 a.m to 7 a.m. (24 hours)
- Pasadena Senior Center, 4103 Mountain Rd., Pasadena—8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- AACO Police Eastern District Community Meeting Room, 3700 Mountain Rd., Pasadena—7 a.m. to 7 a.m. (24 hours)
- Annapolis Senior Center, 119 S. Villa Ave., Annapolis—8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- South County Senior Center, 27 Stepneys Ln., Edgewater—8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- AACO Police Southern District Community Meeting Room, 35 Stepneys Ln., Edgewater—7 a.m. to 7 a.m. (24 hours)