CPR Saves Life After Racquetball Game in Millersville
It is the second time in two years that Kevin Davis has saved a life, the fire department said.
Employees using CPR at a fitness club in Millersville saved the life of a Pasadena man Friday morning.
The Anne Arundel County Fire Department said in a press release that a 72-year-old man collapsed while playing racquetball at the Severna Park Racquetball and Fitness club. Two employees, Kevin Davis and Chuck Newby, came to his rescue, armed with an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED).
The two trained rescuers quickly assessed the patient and found that he had stopped breathing and did not have a pulse. After confirming that 911 had been called, Davis began administering CPR, assisted by Newby.
"When I got there, his face was red and he was gurgling," Davis said. "I had him, lost him, then had him back again."
Once applied, the AED called for an immediate shock. Within two minutes of the call being dispatched, County Fire Investigator Lt. Brian Mayers, who was on duty in the area, arrived on location. He took over CPR from Davis as the second shock was delivered.
The patient regained a spontaneous pulse and respirations, and subsequently regained consciousness. He was was transported to BWMC by ambulance where he remains in stable condition, according to the fire department. Davis said he hasn't spoken to the man since the incident.
According to the American Heart Association, the majority of out-of-hospital cardiac arrests end in death. But it doesn’t have to be that way.
"Immediate CPR and defibrillation can more than double the chance of survival. That’s why it’s so important for communities to facilitate public CPR and defibrillation training and to make automated external defibrillators (AEDs) widely available," the fire department's press release reads. "Bystanders in every community should know the chain of survival and be prepared to act at a moment’s notice."
This is the second time in the past two years that Davis has saved a life, according to the fire department. In 2011, Davis was recognized by the Anne Arundel County Fire Department with a Citizens Exemplary Performance Award for the successful resuscitation of a patron of the club.
During that incident, Davis said he arrived at the raquetball court, and the man's skin had turned blue. But after four or five chest compressions, he felt the heart begin to beat, and the man was rescued.
"I think most people are in shock in that kind of scenario, and I was back then, but today I was able to maintain calm," Davis said of Friday's incident.